Aug 2, 2012

Cat Power – Sun (2012)

...CHANMARSHALLISESS...

Sun is the first album of original material from Cat Power in over six years. Chan Marshall performed and produced Sun herself in various locations including a studio she built in Malibu
Marshall explained that following the release of 2008′s Jukebox, she became involved in a serious long-term relationship, which ended just as the new album was being completed. “You know that thing we’re all raised to want: a beautiful life with children — that family thing that is tangible? [pauses] Before, I tended to just survive, survive, survive. Gaining a lot of… not knowledge, not life experience… but I had this opportunity of travelling around the world, meeting all these people and having these experiences that have shaped who I am now.”


She continued, “I was trying to grow my personal life in a way that I never did before. So now that relationship is over and it’s come full circle … There’s a great loss personally in my life right now, but there’s also a gift in that I’m lucky I finished this album.”
Marshall also discussed why she chose to play all the instruments on the album herself. “You have a huge responsibility with the things you’re trying to create to do your best. There’s pressure – not from critics or anything like that, but to do something that means something in your heart. And you wanna do it the way you wanna do it.”

blog comments powered by Disqus